Senior Accountant Cover Letter
In the race to land in the best accounting jobs, a senior accountant cover letter could prove to be helpful. Accounting is one field that does not face much heat during business slow down. In fact, their help is sought more during troubled times in any company.
Accounts have to be maintained by all businesses as it is required by the law. Larger and more successful businesses have complete accounting departments as part of their offices. This department is full of senior and junior accountants. The senior accountants work independently and handle projects independently. Hence, this position is low in number but the salary is good.
The cover letter for a senior accountant should focus more on your experience and knowledge. These factors are important in the field of accounting. If you have played a part in cost reduction policies, then highlight that in the letter as companies are constantly on the lookout for reducing costs and increasing profits.
The letter should not have technical details even if it is an accountant's cover letter. The letter should also not have any flowery language. Keep it short and simple and the rest will fall in place. Use this letter to create curiosity about yourself so the reader will surely call you in for an interview. Since accountants do not have much experience in letter writing, we have provided a few points which are a good guide in writing the senior accountant cover letter.
Guidelines for writing a senior accountant cover letter:
- Count the number of enclosures you will have with the letter and check them for good and readable print
- The cover letter should have proper language. There is no point in writing fancy openings as this profession is technical and the interviewers are looking for candidates who are seriously interested in the profile
- If you are being referred by someone from the company, then ask them to whom the letter has to be addressed
- Start by mentioning that you are interested in the senior accountant position. It is better to get straight to the point
- Keep the first paragraph short and quickly move to the second paragraph. Since you are a senior, you are bound to have good experience, so start with your experience and mention where you have worked before
- In the same paragraph, state the kind of responsibilities you handled in your old company and the number of junior accountants that you handled
- If you have done a particularly complex accounting assignment, mention that assignment in brief. This is important so the reader knows you are experienced in handling complex accounts
- Start a third paragraph, and mention in that are you updated on the latest accounting laws and practices as this is an important requirement in this profession
- End the letter with the thank you, and also give your contact details once again
These guidelines are more than enough to make a good cover letter. Given below is a letter written using the same guidelines. Read it to understand the letter better.
626, Ridge Road,
Columbus, Ohio, USA,
(726) 783 789.
Human Resources Manager
Numeria Accounting Firm,
767, Market Square,
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Dear Mr. Right,
This letter is to apply for the position of senior accountant in your firm. This information was provided to me by Mr. Joseph Moore who is also a senior accountant. He informed me that Numeria was on the lookout for good senior accountant and I thought myself to be worthy of this opportunity.
I have worked in Stats Accounting from the past three years. I joined there as a junior accountant and was promoted to the position of senior accountant in my first year owing to hard work. In our firm I managed a team of five junior accountants. I even headed a government accounting project that came our company's way. This project had a short deadline and the numbers were complicated, but we finished well in time.
I am also well in touch with latest accounting practices and I am also adept at using accounting software. I would be grateful if you grant me an opportunity to apply for this position. (726) 783 789 is my home phone number and herblowe@chainmail.,com is my email id where I can be reached. Thank you for considering me.
- Photocopy of experience letter
- Photocopy of accounting degree
- Photocopy of certificate in computer accounting
This letter is the simplest example of senior accountant cover letter. You can even use this letter as it and only change details like name and address.
The cover letter example below is that of a senior accountant with experience initiating actions to reduce costs, plan and implement cross functional programs, identify and employ critical technology and work effectively with outside partners. The second paragraph of the cover letter lists some consulting engagements with multi-billion dollar organisations. The third paragraph of the cover letter lists key qualifications and accomplishments, including:
- 25 years of experience as a CPA working on projects with Fortune 100 and 500 companies;
- knowledge and expertise in Sarbanes-Oxley implementation and compliance;
- strong IT skills;
- superior client service skills; and
- knowledge of various computer systems and applications.
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪
City, State, Zip
Today's economy demands excellence in the areas of financial management and information systems. Accounting and finance professionals must have a unique blend of experience and leadership along with the ability to contribute to the enterprise's profitability. They must not only monitor daily activities but also possess the vision to plan and implement strategic initiatives for the future well being of the company.
As my resume clearly demonstrates, I have consistently taken the initiative to reduce costs, plan and implement cross functional programs, identify and employ critical technology, and work effectively with outside partners. Recent accomplishments include a diverse range of consulting engagements for multi-billion-dollar corporations, including Coca Cola Enterprises, McKesson Corporation, Exide Technologies, and SAP America.
Highlights of my qualifications include:
- Certified Public Accountant with over 25 years' experience encompassing a unique combination of management consulting and corporate accounting for Fortune 100 and 500 companies.
- Knowledge and expertise in Sarbanes-Oxley implementation and compliance (section 404 and 302).
- Strong IT skills with the ability to manage system conversion projects and train Subject Matter Experts (SME's) for global enterprises; SAP certified in FI/CO module.
- Proven troubleshooting skills with the ability to research, identify, and implement creative problem-solving solutions for high growth organizations.
- Dedicated to providing superior service to corporate clientele by responding to their requests, inquiries, suggestions, or concerns; able to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Knowledge and experience in computer systems and applications including J.D. Edwards (JDE), PeopleSoft, Oracle, Fourth Shift, Timberline, Platinum, SAP, Business Control Systems (BCS), Property Tax Management Systems (PTMS), Microsoft Office and Windows operating systems.
The enclosed profile is a summary of my experience. I look forward to the opportunity to discuss in further detail my ability to fulfill your requirements. Thank you for your consideration.