Mishaps or calamities happen suddenly and can be devastating at times, especially if it's a fire. When a fire took place in my neighbourhood I was awestruck and dumbfounded to see the chaos and loss that it caused. It was 10 o'clock at night when a house in my neighborhood had caught fire. I was having my dinner when I heard screams of panic in the neighbourhood. I looked out of the window and saw people rushing towards the burning house. In no time the fire had spread to the first floor which bellowed out smoke from all corners. Residents were pouring buckets of water to extinguish the fire. Many people were throwing sand and dust over the fire. A few people were trying to control the fire by throwing blankets on it. But the fire was ravaging. It was a terrible sight.
It was a two-storeyed building. Some residents of the house were trapped in the second floor. I overheard people saying that the fire may have started from the ground floor. Soon, it spread to the first floor. People entrapped in the building were screaming for help. The flames were rushing towards them. Their lives were in danger. Just then someone in the crowd informed the fire brigade. Some of those who were trapped in the fire took chance of rushing out through the burning flames. They sustained minor burn injuries. It was an awful and miserable sight. The other residents of the neighbourhood were at a loss about ways and means of rescuing those who were trapped in the fire.
Soon the fire brigade arrived. But the fire had already taken its toll. The residents were very anxious, because despite their best efforts they could not extinguish the fire. Some of those who were trapped in the second floor jumped from there in an attempt to save their lives. It was a horrid sight. The firemen fought the fire bravely and brought it under control with the help of large water pipes. They setup a staircase up to the first floor and then to the second. They managed to rescue all those who were trapped amidst flames. What a relief! Everyone was saved including a woman and child. In this brave effort two fire fighters were injured. Some of those who were rescued suffered serious burn injuries. The injured were immediately rushed to the hospital.
However, with a great deal of effort the fire was doused, but it caused immense damage and destruction to the house. Four fire brigade vans finally managed to drench the flames. Furniture, belongings and valuables were burnt to ashes. The whole house looked dismal. Later investigation revealed that the fire had originated from a short circuit on the ground floor. The good news was that no life was lost, thanks to the brave efforts of the residents and firemen!
© Arked Infotech
Sample Descriptive Essay on Burning House
The first thing that you notice about a burning house is not that it is burning, but that it is burning with such intensity. James watched the house across the street as fire engulfed it from all sides. There was fire everywhere; the roof was on fire, the doors and windows were on fire, fire was even coming out of the house through various openings, looking like a fire-breathing dragon was inside the house, puffing away vicariously. The flames burned deep red and amber, almost livid purple as James saw various firefighters trying to put out the fire. Fortunately, there was no one inside as the whole family had been out for dinner. Nothing inside was likely to survive the fire, James thought as he saw some flames licking up in the air with the wind, trying to catch something else on fire, and finding nothing but air, disappearing into the windy night, like disappointed flutters.
It all began about an hour ago. James was in his room and he thought he smelled something burning. It smelled like a heated soldering iron or as if some wires and rubber was being burnt. The first thought that crossed James' mind was that it was his computer and that it had begun to fry. But then after a careful inspection ruled out that possibility, he started back at his homework. He could not really concentrate as the smell persists. He was convinced now that something was very wrong and went downstairs to inspect his kitchen. It was as he was going down the stairs that he noticed something out of the window. It looked like a fluttering red bird that had just flown by and as James try to catch another glimpse, his curiosity turned to horror as he realized that the house across the street was on fire. He ran downstairs and dialed 911, explaining what he had seen and pushed his way into his driveway.
The house in front of him had just started to smolder in the fire. The first thing that crossed his mind was what if there were people inside. He thought of going inside the house and looking for some people, but the extreme heat that was coming out the house thwarted him instantly. He could not go further than being a good hundred feet away from the house. It was excruciatingly hot and he almost felt his eyebrows burn. He was still very worried. Alex lived in that house and he had known him since they were kids. Not knowing what to do, James ran back in the house and called Alex on his cell phone. He watched through the kitchen window as a crash brought down the ceiling of the house, bringing the whole roof down with a loud crash. Alex picked up the phone as James saw a bellow of ash and smoke rise out of the house. It was mildly relieving to James to find out that Alex and his whole family had decided to go out for dinner and none of them were inside the house.
Soon, the firefighters arrived and looked at the full-blown inferno in front of them. The fire had gotten quite out of control now as the whole house was on fire. The firefighters evacuated the street and told everyone to go inside their houses. James had no choice but to retreat to his room where he could see, feel, and hear Alex's house burn down. In a few minutes, the house had been reduced to a pile of rubble, ashes, and smoldering wood and items. There was a very putrid smell that took over the whole neighborhood, like a bad barbeque party gone horribly wrong. The smell was so overpowering that it took James almost two weeks to get it out of his nose. The house had burnt down to nothing within a few hours, making James realize the futility of the human life and ventures. It takes man many years to build his dream house and it takes nature only a few minutes to completely destroy his dreams.