MLA Writers' Format
All written pieces are required to be in MLA (Modern Language Association) Format. You can read the whole thing by clicking here: MLA Formatting and Style Guide, but below are overall rules and general guidelines that will give you the skills you need to be successful 7th grade Viper writers.
You can also download these handy templates:
Mac Pages Template
MS Word Template
Overall Paper Format
- The paper should be typed and double-spaced, on standard 8 ½” x 11”, 20-pound white paper.
- All four outside margins should be set at 1 inch.
- A header with consecutive page numbering should appear on the upper right-hand corner of each page. It must be flush with the right margin, and one-half inch down from the top margin.
- A title page is not necessary (unless otherwise requested). Instead of the title page, four double-spaced entries are made, beginning at the top left-hand corner of the first page, listing author (your) name, course instructor’s name, course name/number, and the date.
- The title of the paper should be centered, one double-space from the bottom of the previous entry (either the header, or the date if there was no title page).
Sample first page
Bibliography Resources for Research Projects
"How to Make a Bibliography"
|Printable copy of the bibliography|
information below (PDF)
Author’s last name, first name. Title of book. City: Publisher, Date.
Example: Jenkins, Steve. The Animal Book. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013.
Encyclopedias and other reference books:
Author’s last name, first name (if available). “Title of article or word you looked up.” Title of encyclopedia. City: Publisher, Date.
Example: “Whales.” The World Book Encyclopedia. Chicago: World Book, 2006.
Websites, including online encyclopedias:
Author’s last name, first name (if available). “Title of article or word you looked up.” Title of website. Date of publication and/or date you accessed. <website address>.
Example: “Whales.” FactMonster. 23 Feb. 2014. <www.factmonster.com>.
- If you can’t find the author, that’s okay.
- If you can’t find the date, that’s okay.
For help with other sources, such as magazines, newspapers, interviews, and more...